Thursday 18 March 2010

Maybe I need a new prescription...

Photograph by Leslie Alsheimer

When you look at this picture what do you see?


I'm taking a photography class and this week's assignment was to bring in two pictures that are somehow related and then discuss the visual symbolism in both of the shots. The picture above was brought in by one of my classmates. As soon as the picture projected onto the screen Tone and I both began gushing about how much we loved the picture. Tone even went as far as to say if he has a daughter he would frame the picture and put it in her room. Strangely, no more than three sentences into her description, the student who was presenting said, "You can clearly see the poverty in this picture."

Clearly?

At first glance all I can see is two girls sharing a moment of uncontrollable laughter. Second glance, I'm loving the freedom of the older girls movements. It's like the laughter is making her dance. Third glance, I notice the embrace of the younger girl and it reminds me of how a little sister would cling to a big sister. Fourth glance, their dresses make me think of summer and crisp cotton. Fifth glance, the palm trees and the shack remind me of Jamaica. I know it can be anywhere tropical but that's what came to my mind first. Last glance, I see the building in the far left. Could be a house, or a school, or a church but there aren't enough details for me to know. There is NOTHING in this picture that blatantly or even subliminally suggests poverty. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but her statement was much too strong.

No sooner than she finished her sentence I blurted out "Where in the picture do you see poverty ?" Several students in the class chimed in with similar questions and it felt good to know that I wasn't the only one baffled by that remark. The presenter attempted to say that the shack in the background and the little girl not wearing shoes were examples of poverty but the class quickly refuted those statements. One girl from Jersey said "You can see shacks like that ANYWHERE. I see them all over Jersey..." and someone else said it's not unusual for children to play outside barefoot. All valid points but the presenter was insistent on telling us why there is indeed poverty in the picture, claiming that in the caption on National Geographic's website the photographer said it was taken in Uganda, "A nation known for its impoverished conditions." Forgive my ignorance but I don't know anything about Uganda and caption or no caption, the picture still only evokes positive feelings within me. I took it upon myself to Google the caption.

"It is the light, it is the curl in the corners of the mouth, the sparkle in the eyes, and the unedited and untainted laughter. It is a child that does not yet understand the meaning of poverty. It is the child that has not yet seen the violence and destruction so prevalent in the world. It is the child that lost their mother to AIDS or child birthing complications, yet remains joyous and youthful despite the suffering. Dignity: The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect."

The caption CLEARLY states that these girls have not been exposed to poverty. Granted the writer said they have not been exposed as yet but the point is the picture was appropriately titled "Girls Laughing, Uganda" because that is all you can see. I was and still am so thoroughly offended by my classmate attempting to force a vision of poverty on me. Another person in the class used the same picture for her presentation and compared it to a photo of a close up of a dutch girl laughing backstage before a festival performance. In the class discussion of her two photos one young lady said "You can tell that this girl [the dutch girl] is from a more advanced civilization because of the doors." No joke. She said this with a straight face and the presenter actually nodded and made comments that supported that ridiculous statement. The girls in Uganda are CLEARLY outside. How can you compare the inside of this building in god knows where to the palm trees of Uganda? Palm trees now symbolize societies that are less advanced in their development? All I could do was shake my head.

Maybe I'm biased. Maybe I'm upset because the people who chose these pictures took a beautiful moment and attempted to make it ugly. Maybe I'm subconsciously pulling a race card. Or maybe they just couldn't see this picture for what it really is.

What do YOU think?

5 comments:

  1. I see what you see Ms. Storm. The picture shows no form of impoverished children. It's full of life, energy and innocence. When will the world realize that all of Africa is not stricken with disease and walking around with flies stuck to their naked bodies? They are not savage beasts, but human beings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the first time i noticed in the picture was the smile but once i started reading the blog then i had to look again at the background. if they are impoverished children you couldnt tell AT ALL! they missed the bigger picture which is the happiness in their face. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved this picture, and quite honestly it reminds me of cousins back home in Trinidad having fun in the sun... not an impoverished African country.
    But it only goes to show how an individuals experiences play a major hand in their perspective of everything- even something as simple as their opinion on a photograph. I bet the closest experience this girl has gotten to any environment like this was watching a "Feed the Children" commercial on TV. She needs to erase in her mind all the bias media that shows Africa, and other Non-Western areas as stricken with poverty and strife, and if possible get a first understanding that despite not living a Western Lifestlye (the only thing i bet she's exposed to), there is joy, life, and happiness where they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WTF!!!!! you know as upset as i want to be about this i can't. because everyone see things differntly even though stevie wonder can see the joy in this picture but some people worlds are just shaped differntly and theyre views are biased.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture is beautiful and I agree with antonio when someone breeds me this is going in my daughter's room. This pic exemplifies simplicity, freedom, and happiness. Shorty had to project her negative feelings into something wonderful. No new prescription you got it right the 1st 2nd n 3rd look u took. Keep blogging boo n this was great not only your travels but just being K Ann.
    -your biggest fan

    ReplyDelete